11/21/2013 – 6pm Lefty’s Pizza.
We had an incredible turn out at our 2nd Official Team Ninja meeting – 9 new members joined Team Ninja putting our total rider count at 38 – Awesome!
Here’s a quick recap of the meeting in case you were not able to join us (or couldn’t hear me over all the Lefty’s madness)…
Richard started a mountain bike workouts on Meetup.com at Balboa Park in 2012 because he saw there was a void. Every other sport has group workouts and now mountain biking had its own too.
The workout has been free because he sees it as a public good. Hundreds of riders have participated since its inception and there’s no end in site.
A lot of close friendships have been forged at these workouts and it was at participants demand that we created the jerseys, and at their demand that we are starting this team.
Who knew that meetup would be the beginning of something so cool. Still today, 18 or so months later, we’ve have between 25-30 people coming out week after week. If you haven’t made it out to a workout lately, join us!
Team Ninja Mission Statement
A team of like-minded cyclist working together to support each other and achieve our goals while giving back to the community and inspiring others to ride. Team Ninja is open to everyone, no matter what level rider or cycling discipline. You just need to ride a bike!
What We Have Done so Far
- IMBA Kids MTB Skills Clinic | Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day (24 participants)
- First ever USAC XC MTB race – Ninja Night Race
In the Future
- Kids bike skills clinic at San Diego Gran Fondo in April, 2014
- This is where Dan and Heidi come in… (if you have ideas, let them know)
Upcoming Cycling Events and Racers
- An upcoming MTB race schedule been created by Mike Henry (will be posted on the website shortly)
- Ray Snoke will be taking on the task of assembling a Road Race list for Socal – Thank you Ray!! (will be posted soon)
- Ninja Night Race – No confirmed date yet, will be announced soon — Stay tuned
- New Team Ninja canopy has arrived – awesome!
- Water coolers are here.
- Tables are here.
- (portable bike rack on order)
- Reference Sponsor List on website (and in Members only section)
- New Sponsors: Lefty’s Pizza, EZ-UP, Paul Gamache LAC – Acupuncture, Sports Medicine and Family Health
- Group email list. You need a Google account to participate. This is a great way for everyone to communicate about everything Ninja; team rides, community events, carpools, etc. Go here to request access: http://teamninjaelite.com/forums/
- Website updates (new features, check ‘em out!)
- Members only section (Member’s Only: Login is ******** and password is ******** (email Richard or Kristen for this information). Go to http://teamninjaelite.com/members-only/ and key it in to get more team info and learn how to access sponsors’ offers.)
- Classifieds (Use this to sell and buy cycling parts, gear, etc.) http://teamninjaelite.com/ninja-classifieds/
- Forums (This auto categorizes all group emails into forums threads for future reference, searching,etc.) You can post directly to the forums here, or by sending a group email. Go here to request access: http://teamninjaelite.com/forums/
- Facebook Page (Join Team Ninja | Cycling Team)
- Rudy Project – going to be placed quarterly (Monday Dec 2)
- Team Ninja bib shorts, order yours on the Team website ASAP (deadline Monday Dec 2)!
- Socks – available online tomorrow on the team website store for $8.
Team Photos / Bios
- Team Portrait night at Zumwalt’s Cycle Center — December 5 (Thursday) 6pm
- Please send in your Rider bios to go with your photos – due by Dec 15.
- Membership coordinator / communication role.
- James Vo will assist Richard in this role. Thank you James!
- Other community events (looking for a community service minded volunteer to take this position)
- Heidi Amundson will take on this role – Thank you Heidi!
- Dan Golich will assist – Thank you Dan!
- Rudy Project orders
- Michael Henry will take the lead on coordinating these orders. Thank you Michael! Expect an email from Michael soon with instructions, in the meantime – check out http://e-rudy.com to figure out what you’d like to purchase.
Positions yet to fill (let Richard know if you are interested in any of these):
- Race / Ride Result Coordinator (post results from team members on Team Ninja site and social media.)
- Sponsorship Coordinator – work with prospective and current sponsors for Team support, product, etc.
- Social Events (off the bike) Coordinator (Art galleries, concerts, movies, wine nights, etc…)
- Thank you Lefty’s Pizza (David)!
- If you know anyone who might like to be a sponsor of the team, let Richard know.
- Everyone is welcome to join the team (as long as you ride a bike) More info here: http://teamninjaelite.com/join-renew/
- We have most size jerseys in stock on the Team Ninja Store. If we don’t well include yours in the next order (Dec 2)
- If you haven’t already, order your Bib shorts in the Team Ninja Store – deadline is December 2, 2013.
Whew, you made it this far… In case your eyes glazed over some of the important dates, here they are in a list, put ’em in your calendar now…
|Item / Event||Due Date / Date|
|Bib Shorts Orders||2-Dec|
|Additional Team Jersey Orders||2-Dec|
|Rudy Project Orders||2-Dec|
|New Members Sign Ups||2-Dec|
|Team Photos (Zumwalt’s Cycle Center)||5-Dec|
Thank you for being a part of Team Ninja – We’re really looking forward to seeing what we can do in 2014!
Launch of Volunteer-Run Team Whose Mission Is Community-Minded
(November 19, 2013 – San Diego, CA) San Diego cyclists have worked together to launch a cycling team open to riders of all disciplines and categories with members sharing a common interest in strengthening their communities.
Team Captain, Richard La China, a USAC-certified cycling coach, IMBA-certified mountain bike skills instructor, Cat 1 racer, as well as head coach of Ninja Mountain Bike Skills based in San Diego, formed the team in response to riders’ demand.
“Every Tuesday night for the past 18 or so months, a group of mountain bikers has been coming to Balboa Park for a free workout, challenging each other up some of the great climbs and trails there as they get fit for whatever cycling goals they’re pursuing,” said La China. “A team was the natural next step. Now we’re going to train, race and see if we can make difference together.”
Part of being on Team Ninja is committing to support community projects and events, especially in ways that also support the growth and future of the sport.
“Already, we’ve been really excited to see team members, their friends and family step up to help out with the kids’ skills rodeo we hosted to benefit the Monarch School of San Diego,” said Team Ninja captain Richard La China. “It was a lot of fun for everyone involved, and we had a great response from the participants — our big dream is to create a youth cycling program to keep the sport growing, and we’re keeping our eyes open to find more ways to help support both our cycling community, and some of the many amazing non-profits and charities in San Diego.”
The team is run on a volunteer basis by its members. A growing list of sponsors, including Rudy Project, Power Bar and San Diego’s Zumwalt’s Bicycle Center, as well as local cycling industry stalwarts like Sock Guy, have shown great interest and are offering tremendous support for the racers on the roster. The team is open to new membership and anyone who ride a bike of any kind is encouraged to sign up. Annual membership fees includes a race jersey and contributes to the basic team expenses. The team is comprised of riders participating in mountain bike racing, road racing, track, ultra endurance and gran fondo events.
“We’re already up to over 30 members and though everyone has different cycling goals from a range of disciplines we all share one thing in common and that’s a real sense of the importance of helping others,” said La China. “It’s amazing to see so many great people come together and rally to promote cycling, represent the team, and give a little back.”
NEXT TEAM MEETING IS NOVEMBER 21, 2013 – 6PM, AT LEFTY’S PIZZA IN MISSION HILLS — EVERYONE IS WELCOME, PLEASE RSVP HERE.